My daughter and I both loved it, so here is the recipe.
16 oz. bag Brown Rice Pasta (gluten-free)
1/2 lb. (approx.) Vermont Cabot* Cheddar Cheese
12 oz. Alfresco Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage
1 tsp. Salt
1 Head of Cauliflower
1 cup Water (plus 2 Tbsp)
1 cup Almond Milk (or Soy Milk)
2 Tbsp. Corn Meal
1 tsp. Onion Powder
Salt and pepper, to taste
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 35 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Set aside.
3. While pasta is cooking (water boiling), wash cauliflower, pull apart florets, add 2 Tbsp. of water and place in covered microwave-safe dish. Steam in microwave for 4-5 minutes. Rinse with cold water.
4. While cauliflower is cooking, slice chicken sausage into 1/2-inch slices and set aside.
5. Shred cheese. Set Aside.
6. After cauliflower is cooked and rinsed with cold water, place in food processor and add 1 cup of water and 1 tsp. of salt. Puree while adding 1 cup of almond milk (or soy milk). You may need to add more or less liquid so add slowly. It should be creamy. Not too think, but not to runny.
7. Place pureed cauliflower, shredded cheese, corn meal, onion powder, and salt and pepper into a medium saucepan and cook over medium-high heat until heated through, stirring frequently.
8. Place sausage slices in a heated pan with olive oil (just enough to coat the pan) and cook according to pachage directions.
9. Combine cauliflower-cheese mixture, sausage slices, and pasta in a deep dish casserole pan and bake in oven for 35 minutes.
*Note: All cheese is meant to be lactose-free (as lactose is removed in the cheese-making process), however, some people claim to still exhibit symptoms of lactose intolerance (LI) with certain cheeses. Cabot cheese contains 0g of lactose and is considered the best choice for those with LI.