Children can be picky eaters, but this recipe passed the “kid-approved” test. My daughter took one bite out of her yams and exclaimed “These are Delicious!!”. So here is what we ate tonight. Yummy and healthy!
Tasty Chicken Wrap
1 1/2 lbs. Boneless chicken breast (tenders or stir-fry cut)
1-2 Red Pepper
1-2 Yellow Pepper
1 Sweet onion
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Melt 1 Tbsp. of butter in saute pan over MEDIUM heat** (optional) see note (spray or olive oil can be used)
2. Place chicken tenders or stir-fry cut chicken in pan and cook on Medium High heat.
3. In a separate saute pan, use just enough olive oil to coat pan and cook vegetables over medium high heat.
4. Sprinkle both meat and vegetables with salt and pepper. Sprinkle meat with McCormick’s.
5. Drizzle a small amount of olive oil over chicken. Stir and continue cooking. Flip once and coat both sides with seasonings. Cook until done (about 10 minutes)
6. Cook vegetables until soft.
7. Warm tortillas (microwave is fine for 15-30 seconds surrounded by a paper towel)
8. Place meat on tortilla, followed with vegetables. Add shredded cheese, lettuce, salsa, or sour cream, if prefered.
**Note: If choosing between olive oil and butter, butter isn’t as healthy as olive oil. However, when using a small amount to cook with, it adds great tenderness and taste to the meat. I often will melt a small amount (anywhere from 1 tsp. to a tablespoon) of butter in a pan, then add all of my meat, then add a little oil. Remember, this is spread out over numerous servings (not just yours), therefore it doesn’t add as many calories or fat to the dish as you might think.
If you’re trying to lose weight, use an olive oil spray or cooking spray instead, and save the calories. You can pre-marinate the meat to tenderize it, instead.
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Yams
2-3 Yams, peeled
Cumin (light sprinkle)
Turbinado sugar (or brown sugar) (about 1 tsp…just a light sprinkle)
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Cut peeled yams in half (remove ends), and heat in microwave for 5 minutes.
3. Remove yams and dice into equal size pieces about 1/2 inch think.
4. Place diced yams in a bowl and coat with olive oil (stir to coat)
5. Place yams on a cooking sheet (I use a stoneware pan) and sprinkle with Cumin, Sugar, and Salt.
6. Bake for 25 minutes. Top with light amount of butter, if desired.